National Higher Education System

There are two different types of institutions of higher education in Sweden: Universitet (Research University) and Högskola (University College). The formal difference is that the former enjoys the unrestricted right to award Masters and PhD degrees while the latter does not. Most University Colleges do not award PhDs.

As for the right to award undergraduate degrees, there is normally no difference between a university or university college. A degree conferred by a University College is equivalent to a degree awarded by a University.




There are no tuition fees for EU students in state-sector institutions.

Grants & Loans

There are residency requirements that will proably preclude UK and Irish students from claiming Swedish grants or loans.

A limited number of scholarships are available from the majority of Sweden's universities and university colleges. If you wish to apply for funding, you must apply directly to the individual university/university college in which you are interested.

Application Process

Sweden has a centralised application system: students apply on-line for courses at all Universities and University Colleges through universityadmissions.se

The formal application deadline is an early one: 16 January. However, most institutions have later deadlines, in April. EUNiCAS will keep EUNICAS-registered students up-to-date on these opportunities.

Important Note: because the academic year in Sweden begins earlier than ours (and our results are later than is the norm in Europe), most Universities have difficulty in processing A-Level and Leaving Certificate results in time for entry in the same year as our students take their school-leaving exams. Accordingly, students who want to enter most Swedish Universities will usually (EUNICAS might be able to assist here) need to take a gap year.